Updated on 27 Oct 2016
We’ve been publishing articles on Node.js for over a year now, and since 2015 was quite a year for Node.js, we thought it’d be interesting to look back at what exactly happened to Node.js so far, from the point where it was born. This is the history of Node.js on a timeline, from 2009 until now (October 2016):
- Node.js now has a name
- First very early preview of npm, the Node package manager
- Ryan Dahl's (Creator of Node.js) Original Node.js Talk
- The first presentation on Node.js from Ryan Dahl at JSConf
- Express: A Node.js web development framework
- Socket.io initial release
- Experimental Node.js Support on Heroku
- Ryan Dahl's Google Tech Talk on Node.js
- Node.js 0.2.0 released
- Node.js Guide
- Ryan Dahl's AMA on Reddit
- npm 1.0: Released
- The Node Beginner Book, an introduction to Node.js, is now complete
- A comprehensive Node.js tutorial for beginners.
- LinkedIn uses Node.js
- LinkedIn launched its completely overhauled mobile app with new features and new parts under the hood.
- Ryan Dahl talks about the history of Node.js and why he created it
- Node.js in production at Uber
- Uber Engineering Manager Curtis Chambers explains why his company
completely re-engineered their application using Node.js to increase
efficiency and improve the partner and customer experience.
- Node.js creator Ryan Dahl steps away from Node’s day-to-day
- Node.js v0.8.0 [stable] is out
- Hapi, a Node.js framework
- Ghost: Blogging with Node.js
- Ghost is an open source publishing platform which is beautifully designed,
easy to use, and free for everyone.
- The MEAN Stack: MongoDB, ExpressJS, AngularJS and Node.js
- How We Built eBay’s First Node.js Application
- Node.js Memory Leak at Walmart
- Eran Hammer of Wal-Mart labs came to the Node.js core team
complaining of a memory leak he had been tracking down for months.
- PayPal releases Kraken, a Node.js framework
- "Gives your Node.js express apps some extra arms"
- Koa - Web framework for Node.js
- TJ Fontaine takes over Node project
- Node.js Advisory Board
- Joyent and several members of the Node.js community announced a
proposal for a Node.js Advisory Board as a next step towards a fully open
governance model for the Node.js open source project.
- Node.js in Flame Graphs - Netflix
- IO.js 1.0.0
- Joyent Moves to Establish Node.js Foundation
- Joyent, IBM, Microsoft, PayPal, Fidelity, SAP and The Linux Foundation Join
Forces to Support Node.js Community With Neutral and Open Governance
- IO.js and Node.js reconciliation proposal
- npm Private Modules
- Node lead TJ Fontaine is stepping down and leaving Joyent
- A changing of the guard in Nodeland.
- Node.js and io.js are merging under the Node Foundation
- Trace - Node.js performance monitoring and debugging
- Trace is a visualized microservice monitoring tool that gets you all the metrics you need when operating microservices.
- 4.0 is the new 1.0
- Node v4.2.0, first Long Term Support release
- Apigee, RisingStack and Yahoo join the Node.js Foundation
- Node Interactive
- The first annual Node.js conference by the Node.js Foundation
- Express becomes an incubated project
- The leftpad incident
- Google Cloud Platform joins the Node.js Foundation
- CJ Silverio becomes the CTO of npm
- Trace, the Node.js debugging solution becomes generally available
- The first Node Interactive in Europe